Machu Picchu & Short Inca Trail 2 Days
Machu Picchu Short Inca Trail is the most well-known trekking routes of Machu Picchu; designed for traveller eager to explore the most popular, natural and cultural highlights of Peru; in a short period of time. The Machu Picchu Short Inca Trail begins in the city of Cusco; with a morning 2:00-hour car drive to Ollantaytambo train station; then approach the train for 1:30 hours to the zone of Chachabamba known as the km 104 situated at 2,100m.
The trekking of “Machu Picchu Short Inca Trail” goes through the Urubamba Valley/river passing mysterious Inca settlements; of different functionalities such as religious, agriculture, storage, irrigation, and housing. Trekkers will walk through a number of hills; whose vegetation will change according to the elevation and will have the opportunity to experience many different terrain conditions. The trek’s route is well serviced with some shelters to rest from the sun or rain, it icludes a comfortable 3-stars hotel Accommodation in the town of Aguas Calientes near Machu Picchu Inca Santuray.
2-day adventure trip or the Machu Picchu Short Inca Trail is a combination of wildlife, history, tradition and Inca archaeology. This is one of the Peru’s best treks, and is one of our most popular, set amongst breathtaking mountain sceneries. Magnificent landscapes, imposing and prestigious peaks, popular tourist attractions and colorful villages contribute to turning this short trek into an unforgettable experience. The 2 day 1 night Ina Trail option allows you to experience some of the secrets of the Incas without camping in close proximity to absolution facilities.
For 2-day Machu Picchu Short Inca Trail, we’ll pick up from your hotel in Cusco at 4:00 am and from the Sacred Valley (Ollantaytambo) at 6:00am to take you on a journey of two hours, with a private transportation to the train station in Ollantaytambo . Here we board the Expedition train, travel by train in an hour and 45 minutes to Km 104 (start of our trek).
At Km 104 after submitting passport control, we began to walk to Machu Picchu which will take us 6-7 Hours approximately. Then we’ll take the bus down to Aguas Calientes town and have accommodation in the hotel
On the first day we’ll visit the Inca ruins of Chachabamba, where we’ll find a stone altar-site that was used to worship the sun and the mountains, still revered by local people. We also will visit the Inca ruins of Winaywayna where we’ll see immense Inca terraces used for agriculture.
The second day after we explore Machu Picchu you’ll have free time for further exploration; then we’ll take the train and return to the station of Ollantaytambo from where you’ll be transferred to Cusco.
We offer daily departures fo Machu Picchu Short Inca Trail (excluding February when the trail is closed); the Inca Trail is closed for maintenance and repairs the camping sites
It is strongly recommended to book your Machu Picchu Short Inca Trail at least 4 to 5 months in advance as permits can quickly sell out. See the Availability
- Starting Altitude – 2100m / 6900ft
- Highest Altitude – 2730m / 8,792ft
- Walking Distance – 12km
- Accommodation – 3 Star Hotel in the town of Aguas Calientes
- Overall Difficulty – Easy to Moderate difficult (depends on your level of fitness).
Day 1: Arrive to the town of Aguas Calientes town – Near Machu Picchu
Drive from Cusco to Chachabamba, 3:30 hours (bus and train). After arrived in Chachabamba you’ll pass the control point showing the permits and your passport, then trek for 6 -7 hours to Machu Picchu. Overnight at Hotel
Day 2 : Explore Machu Picchu
Full day will be dedicated to explore the stunning Machu Picchu, the tour will last for two hours then you’ll have free time for further exploration. Optionally you can climb the Mountain of Huaynapicchu (check availability at booking time. In the afternoon return to Cusco.
DAY TO DAY
Day 1: Drive from Cusco to Chachabamba and trek to Machu Picchu
The tow-day Machu Picchu Short Inca Trail starts when we pick you up from your hotel at 4.00am and take you to the train station of Ollantaytambo. We travel by train for 1:45 hours until we reach the zone of Cahchabamba or kilometer 104.
At Km 104 or Chachabamba we’ll pass the control with the trek permits and your passport. Then we began to walk softly around meters Urubamba River/ Valley. After we walk five-minutes from the control we will see the ruins of Chachabamba, a stone altar-site that was used to worship the sun and the mountains; here you’ll have a guided tour for half hour; then, continue the path south and started a gradual climb to the mountain; then the trail leaves the forest and goes west while continuing uphill for about four hours to the Inca ruins of Wiñayhuana. here we’ll have our lunch.
After lunch here, we will continue through the cloud forest. As we walk the last part of the way we pass many impressive features such as the stone stairs and Inca ruins. We’ll arrive to the highest point of the trek (2,750m) at Inti Punku. From this point, you can see and observe the sunset over Machu Picchu. Then we’ll descend for 45 minutes to Machu Picchu and take sufficient pictures before we take the bus for 25 minutes down to Aguas Calientes town and have accommodation in the hotel.
- Meals included: L – D
- Accommodation: 3-stars category hotel
- Walking distance: 12 Km.
- Approximate Walking Time: 6 – 7 Hours
Places to be visited today
Day 2 : Explore Machu Picchu and return to Cusco
Today breakfast is at 04:30 am then we’ll board the first bus to Machu Picchu at 05:20am, the park opens at 6:00 am. We’ll have a guided tour of Machu Picchu for 2 – 3 hours; during which we’ll visit the most amazing places as the Royal Mausoleum, the Temple of the three windows, the main temple , the Sacred Plaza , the famous Intihuatana where wise Incas tied to the sun in the winter solstice in June , stairways , plazas , fountains, etc.
After the tour you’ll have about 2 – 3 hours extra time within Machu Picchu for further exploration or you can optionally climb Huaynapicchu Mountain (US$ 70 extra for the entrance). After finishing our masterful visit, we return down to Aguas Calientes town to enjoy our lunch in one of the restaurants. Then we have some free time to explore this quaint village before boarding our train back to Cusco.
The train departs Aguas Calientes town in the afternoon between 16:00pm – 17.00pm arrives in the train station of Ollantaytambo 1:45 after. From Ollantaytambo we’ll travel two hours by bus to Cusco with a van, arrived at approximately 9:00 pm.
- Meals Included: Breakfast in the Hotel
- Please Note: while we visit Machu Picchu your personal belongings you can leaved in the storage of the hotel in Cusco.
When it comes to money we would like to explain to you what you are paying for. We are a local company providing world-wide travelers with internationally qualified services. We provide you with the lowest prices possible for fully inclusive Short Inca Trail which has no hidden fees. As one of the leading trekking companies in Peru, we guarantee your safety, satisfaction, and long-lasting memories of your experience.
Places to be visited today
- Pre-departure briefing at your Hotel or Office.
- Pick up from your Hotel at 04:00 am
- Private transport to Ollantaytambo Train Station (2 Hrs)
- Expedition train to Km 104 (starting point of the hike)
- Entrance fees for the trail and the Machupicchu sanctuary
- Permits and fees for the Short Inca Trail
- Walk with an excellent English speaking guide.
- Guided visit of Chachabamba, Wiñaywayna and Choquesuysuy
- Guided Tour of Machupicchu on the second Day
- 1 Box Lunch, 1 Dinner and 1 Breakfast
- Accommodation in a 3-stars hotel.
- 3 bus tickets (Machu Picchu -Aguas Calientes / Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu / Machu Picchu – Aguas Calientes)
- Expedition train return to Cusco or train to Ollanta and transport to Cusco
Breakfast on the first morning which you can get in your hotel in Cusco
Lunch on the second day which you can get in the town of Aguas Calientes (US$15 – 20pp)
Hot spring pools 20 soles. (Optional)
Entrance fee for Huaynapicchu $70.00 (Optional)
PACKING LIST FOR MACHU PICCHU SHORT INCA TRAIL
- Valid, GREEN ISIC card (if you booked as a student)
- Immigration Card (given on the plane as you enter Peru)
- Good daypack (the smaller, the better)
- Water storage: Water reservoir like Camelbacks or bottles is good for this trek.
- Water for the beginning of your hike.
- Comfortable hiking boots (lightweight with good soles)
- 1 Wicking/Hiking Shirt & hiking pants
- Nice shirt and pants for Machu Picchu day – remember you will always treasure these photos, wear something you love
- 2 sets of undergarments including one pair of hiking socks
- Waterproof jacket/rain poncho
- Sun hat
- Bathing suits for the hot springs (Optional on your own in Aguas Calientes)
- Sun protection cream
- Insect Repellent
- Personal medication
- Personal first aid kit
- Flashlight with spare batteries
- Extra money for souvenirs, drinks & tips
MACHU PICCHU SHORT INCA TRAIL
Group Service price US$ 450 per person
If you are group of people family (more people pay less).
- 2 people US$450 per person
- 3 people US$440 per person
- 4 people US$430 per person
- 5 people US$395 per person
- 6+ people US$385 per person
Important: On your request we can try to get others around you (add other people to your groups) BUT we do Not guarantee this will happen as spaces get Sold Out rapidly and unpredictably.
- Student Discount: US$20 (Requires ISIC Card to qualify)
- Under 18’s Discount: US$20
- Machu Picchu Mountain climbing: USD 65.00 (Need to book in advance)
- Huayna Picchu Mountain climbing: USD 70.00 (Need to book in advance)
- Vistadome Train Aguas Calientes-Cusco: USD50.00 (Need to book in advance)
Machu Picchu Short Inca Trail Highlights
The walk along the up and down trails that stretch on the verdant rolling mountains, occasionally encountering other landscapes that include Inca terraced, Inca setlements fields, rivers and waterfalls.
The ethnic lifestyle and cultural riches of the Incas. Observing and mingling the Inca VX century buildings can be the most rewarding experience during the trek.
The floral and faunal biodiversity of Machu Picchu Conservation Area Project, which is also the ideal destination for bird watching.
The view of Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu, which is an incredible experience to gain while trekking in the Andes of Peru.
Wiñayhuana and Machu Picchu, which are the destinations from where trekkers get to enjoy and savor the views